Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Last List

These songs mean a lot to me...these are probably the ones I will bump hard on those headphones Chris got me when I come back home. I found Vanessa de Mata in Rio listening to the radio, and then in a club underneath the Arcos de Lappa. Since I found her I can't stop listening, her melodies are spiritual...I'm feeling it hard.
Nao me Deixa So-Don't leave me alone. Its a little girl singing about how she is afraid of the dark and ghosts but she knows how to fight back if she has to. Its precious
Boa Sorte-this is my anthem for Brazil...it feels like its all coming to an end...the words are half in english song by the talented Ben Harper so you'll get the gist of the song.

Nacao Zumbi-hip hop with a nordestino indian flow, something real different this cat put me on to in a fair in Rio...check them out for real. These song has a lot of meaning for me too. This one joint is called Mormaco: And the words are "Ta Fazendo sol, vai chover. Ya nasceu mais um, pra morrer"(Its hot out and its gunna rain, One more was born in order to die) This scream Favelas in rio. I was out there the one week over 300 people died in the mudslides in Rio. They die because of rain because of the poor structure of their houses. Its crazy how something as simple as rain really paralyzes a whole city.

Gilberto Gil is a voice without restrictions. Chiclete com Banana is a perfect demonstration of his voice and his steez, he lets in run free over a tropical beat. Actually, he isnt really confined to a genre, thats why I love him so much. This song, chiclete com banana, will always make me remember that night with Shela and Daniel eating churassco-servings of meet carved in front of you, drinking sweet wine.

The last one is not a Brazillian song-it is Skinnny love by Bon Iver and I am rocking it. Its about love and loss. Hope you enjoy. This songs are my heart put to melody.

No comments:

Post a Comment