Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Rio Graffiti



This was a sight I genuinely appreciated over in Rio. The artistry of this vandalism was magnificent. The further inner city we went in Rio, the more complex and abstract the art became. We traveled up an old school trolley to look at the whole city from above, the view was marvelous. Rio is really something, there is a culture here that I would need years to fully comprehend. As I was there, I tried my best to read through the lines and make assumptions through observing the art.

If you look at this, there is something about the building that looks like it needs to be torn down, but at the same time saved for historic or artistic reasons.


Capoiera, a woman juggling, and Maxwell reading a book. Nailed it.


Us in the cute little trolley! Yes, my eyes are open. I have come to accept, my eyes just look like that.


At the top of the hill, we descended and took these side stairs down into a little area to view some ruins. There are still some things that I don't under
stand, like...why are there ruins in Rio? Why is nothing being done with this space? Everything here was very steep and covered in growth, it was pretty...it was almost like a city deteriorated and grew into a wild garden. More proof of the contrast that is Rio de Janeiro.


This was my favorite one. Could I tell you what it means? No. I think maybe you are on a train blasting into the future and then your train gets stung by a giant green electronic jellyfish. That's just a guess. I'm sure you can come up with something better.


Ima close it with this one-a collaborative effort. God how I miss New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment